The Hungarian saw advantages applicable to their own uses in this vehicle, but due to the depression and tight finances were unable to purchase it. In 1935 Straussler and Manfred Weiss continued to develop the concept and produced the AC II. The new vehicle had both front and rear driving positions for easy extraction from difficult positions.
Manfred Weiss produced two prototypes; one went to the British army for testing while the other remained at the factory. Under the guidance of the Hungarian Military Technical Institute Manfred Weiss went about designing a turret. The final prototype was purchased by the army and underwent trials alongside a number of foreign designs.
After trials, the AC II was accepted in 1939, designated the 39M Csaba and was intended for reconnaissance units. The turret was armed with a 20mm 36M Solothurn anti-tank rifle and a 8mm machine-gun. In 1939 the Ministry of Defence ordered 61 Csaba and then a further 20 were ordered in 1940.
Twelve 40M Csaba command variants were ordered in 1940 as well as command vehicles for company and battalion commands. These vehicles had smaller turrets armed with a single 8mm machine-gun and carried a more powerful radio with a large antenna array.
Weight: 5.9 tons
Engine: 90 Hp 8-cyclinder Ford
Maximum Speed: 65 km/h
Armament: 36M 20mm anti-tank rifle, 34/37A M 8mm machine-gun