Introduction to Battlefront
Paints & Decals
Product Assembly Guides
Armoured Panzergrenadier Company HQ (Plastic) (GBX168)
Tiger Heavy Tank Platoon (Plastic) (GBX107)
Wespe Artillery Battery (GBX155)
Armoured Flak Platoon (GBX180)
Sd Kfz Scout Troop (Plastic) (GBX176)
sMG34 Machine-Gun Platoon (Plastic) (GE784)
Late War German Landing Page
Fallschirmjager Assault Rifle Platoon (GE782)
Sd Kfz 251 Uhu Half-Tracks (GBX194)
Panzersturm Platoon (GE848) (Direct Only)
Panther (Late) Tank Platoon (GBX181)
Puma Scout Troop (Plastic) (GBX172)
Tiger (P) Heavy Tank Platoon (GBX189)
Panzer III Tank Platoon (Plastic) (GBX195)
Hitlerjugend Platoon (x32 Figs) (GE829)
Kleinpanzer Wanze (x3) (GE117)
Volkssturm Infantry Gun Platoon (GE826) (Direct Only)
Volkssturm Mortar Platoon (GE825) (Direct Only)
Volkssturm HMG Platoon (GE824) (Direct Only)
3.7cm Flakzwilling 43(GE546) (Direct Only)
Page 1 of 26 (503 items),
Purchase these Items
Products mentioned in this Article
PBX08 Armoured Train Locomotive
Armoured Train Locomotive (PBX08)
Armoured Train Locomotive
includes one Armoured Locomotive
The history of Polish armoured trains started shortly after Poland gained independence in 1918. They were one of the most important weapons in the war against Bolsheviks in 1919 and 1920, and the other conflicts that shaped the borders of Poland. Dozens of improvised armoured trains fought between 1918 and 1921.
Check out the Armoured Train Locomotive in the online store here...
By the middle of 1939 the world was poised on the brink of war. Hitler’s Nazi Germany had occupied Austria, then Czechoslovakia while the world looked helplessly on. In August Hitler turned his eyes on Poland. This time France and Britain would not stand aside.
Learn more about Blitzkrieg here...
After operations ceased in 1921, only the dozen most advanced were left in service. In September 1939 the Polish Army had two armoured train battalions in service:
■ 1. Dywizjon Pociągów Pancernych based in Legionowo operated in the north-west of Poland.
■ 2. Dywizjon Pociągów Pancernych based in Niepołomice operated in the south of Poland.
Each battalion mobilised five armoured trains, 1st Battalion included trains numbered from 11 to 15 and the 2nd Battalion had trains numbered from 51 to 55. The trains were usually attached to other units patrolling, providing artillery support, and often covering withdrawals.
Armoured train Nr. 53 Śmiały (‘Bold’) was typical. It was grouped with train Nr. 52 Piłsudczyk (‘Piłsudskiite’—supporter of Józef Piłsudski, Chief of State from 1918 to 1922). Both had fought for Poland in the wars of independence from 1918 to 1920, and modernised, fought again in 1939.
On the day of the German invasion Nr. 53 assisted the Wołyńska Brygada Kawalerii (Volynian Cavalry Brigade) in stopping the advance of the German 4th Panzer Division at Mokra. On the following day the trains withdrew towards Warsaw engaging tanks of the 1st Panzer Division.
Two weeks later both trains fought in the defence of the fortress city of Brześć, holding off the 10th Panzer Division for three days. The train escaped the fall of the fortress, only to be finally captured by the Red Army in Lvov.
Designed by Evan Allen
Painted by Victor Pesch
The Armoured Locomotive in Flames Of War
Equipment and Notes
Last Updated On
Thursday, October 9, 2014
by Blake at Battlefront
Battlefront Miniatures 2006-2023. Website by