Products mentioned in this Article
Though its design seems somewhat clunky and old fashioned, the Stuka provided a much-needed service to the Luftwaffe and her allies as a ground attack aircraft. Despite the initial perception, the Stuka included some innovative features, such as an automatic pull-up system to ensure that the plane recovered from a dive even if the pilot lost consciousness from the G-forces.
The aircraft was easily recognisable by its inverted gull wings and fixed undercarriage. On the leading edges of its main gear legs were mounted the Jericho-Trompete ("Jericho trumpet") wailing sirens, which became the propaganda symbol of German air power and the blitzkrieg victories of 1939–1942.
Sculpted by Evan AllenPainted by Derek Forrester