Products mentioned in this Article
Heavy Weapons Platoon (HU710)
Machine-gun, Light Mortar and Anti-tank Rifle sections
The Heavy Weapons platoon is the fourth platoon in any Puskás Század, and is the first port of call for a company commander when looking for some heavy support.
Each Heavy Weapons platoon comes with three 7/31M Machine-guns, two 36M or 39M 50mm Mortars and two 36M 20mm Solothurn anti-tank rifles.
7/31M Heavy Machine-gun
The Hungarian heavy machine-gun was a veteran of the First World War, the Austrian Model 1907 Schwarzlose. The machine-guns were adapted in 1931 to take a new Hungarian 8 x 56mm round that replaced the old Austrian 8 x 50mm round.
Despite the age of the design the 7/31M was still being produced up until 1944. It had a rate of fire of 350 rounds per minute and ammunition came in belts of 250 rounds.
36M and 39M Light Mortar
The light mortar section is armed with two 50mm light mortars, these are either German supplied 36M or the Hungarian produced 39M, both mortars being almost visually identical.
Weight: 20kg (14kg)
Muzzle Velocity: 90m/s (75m/s)
ROF: 22 shots/minute (40 shots/minute)
Elevation: 0/+90 (+42/+90)
Shell Weight: 0.845kg (0.9kg)
Range: 50-860m (60-520m)
36M 20mm Solothurn Anti-tank Rifle
In 1936 the Honvéd adopted the 20mm Solothurn semi-automatic anti-tank rifle as the 36M. It was an effective anti-tank rifle but the men found it very heavy and it required two or three men to move it and was often transported into battle on carts, by horse or by motor vehicle when available.
ROF: 20 rounds/minute
Muzzle velocity: 762m/s
Ammunition: 5 round magazine
Armour Penetration: 15-18mm at 300m
In Flames Of War
The Heavy Weapons Platoon can be field as whole platoon or parts can be farmed out to Puskás Platoons as part of the new 2nd Edition Combat Attachments special rule.
The machine-guns can be also used for the Machine-gun Platoon.
Designed by Evan Allen
Painted by Wayne Turner