Purchase these Items

Products mentioned in this Article

 

 

A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
The Devil In The Detail
with Blake Coster

In part three of A Tale of Two Tigers, I started the process of painting my Tiger I E. Now it's time to finish things up by completing the paint job and add a few extra such as a foliage camouflage, unit markings, and (fingers crossed) a tank commander.

So let's get this Tiger finished and ready for the battlefield once and for all.
Read 'A Tale of Two Tigers: Part One' here... Read 'A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Two' here...
Read 'A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Three' here... Read 'A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Five' here...
Chipped Zimmerit 
Step 1. I begin painting the chipped Zimmerit section using Worn Rubber (302).
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Below: The chipped Zimmerit sections painted Worn Rubber (302).
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Step 2. Next, I use Panzer Grey (303) to highlight the chipped Zimmerit sections.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Step 3. Finally, I add a further highlight of Bunker Grey (304).
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Below: The completed chipped Zimmerit sections on the hull rear plate of the Tiger I E. Below: The completed chipped Zimmerit sections on the side of the of the Tiger I E turret. 
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Rather than leaving the chipped Zimmerit section a base Dark Yellow colour as I had originally intended, I decided I wanted to add some contrast to my Tiger I E. Hence, the choice of going with the grey colour scheme.
Unit Insignia 
Step 1. I begin the unit insignia by painting the shield in White (301). Step 2. Next, I add the leaves below the shield. Step 3. Finally, I add the crossed keys. 
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
At 1:100 scale, the unit insignia of the 101. SS-Schwere Panzerabteilung doesn't really look like much other than a few blobs of white paint. It is more in scale with the miniature itself, but I felt that execution was a little off on my part.
Adding Decals
To add decals to the Tiger I E, I use the techniques I demonstrate in the two videos shown below.
I apply the Balkenkreuz (the straight-armed cross that was the emblem of the Wehrmacht during World War Two) and tank numbers, in this case, '212' to both sides of the turret as well as to the rear of the turret stowage bin.
Below: The Balkenkreuz applied to the right-hand side of the Tiger I E. Below: The Balkenkreuz applied to the right-hand side of the Tiger I E.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Below: The tank number '212' applied to the rear of the turret stowage bin of the Tiger I E. Below: The tank number '212' applied to the left-hand side of the turret of the Tiger I E. Below: The tank number '212' applied to the right-hand side of the turret of the Tiger I E.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
The tank numbers of the side of the turret were a little fiddly as I needed to carefully cut away sections of the decal to match the chipped sections of Zimmerit. The rest was taken care of with a generous application of decal softener.
Applying a Matt Varnish
With the decals applied, it's time to apply a coat of matt varnish to protect the paint job. Once again, I choose to apply the matt varnish with an airbrush. 
Below: The Tiger I E before the matt varnish. Below: The Tiger I E after the matt varnish.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
The difference in photos above is very subtle but there is a difference. It was much more obvious in person; trust me.
Adding Foliage Camouflage
Step 1. To make my tree branches for the foliage camouflage I use a combination of dried twigs for the branches and autumn foliage for leafs. Step 2. I apply a very small amount of PVA glue to the branch.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Step 3. Finally. I apply the foliage to the branch and leave it to dry. Below: The completed branches ready for application to the Tiger I E.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Step 4. To apply the completed branches to the Tiger I E, I use the tiniest amount of PVA glue.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Below: Examples of the foliage camouflage applied to the Tiger I E.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
My Completed Tiger I E
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four
Command Decision
I wanted to do something a little different for my Tank Commander for my Tiger I E rather than just using the standard half-figures included in the German plastic tank box sets.

Don't get me wrong, these figures are great; amazing detail. But I decided to use the German half-track officer figure. But time wasn't on my side this week, so his will have to wait until after Christmas.

Merry Christmas everybody!

~ Blake.

Right: A work in progress of my Tank Commander for my Tiger I E.
A Tale of Two Tigers: Part Four


Last Updated On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 by Blake at Battlefront